Tuesday 17 June 2014

If life gives you nail polishes...


I saw this quote recently 'If life gives you nail polishes make nail art' which is exactly what I did. I have always had an obsession with nail polish. My nails were always painted whether I had a special occasion coming up or not. Having my nails painted made me feel good about myself. On my lunch break in my previous jobs I would sit & paint my nails. No matter where I went I always had a few bottles of nail polish in my bag. I am a self confessed nail polish addict! 

I saw nail art featured in a few magazines therefore I decided to do some research & give it a try. When it comes to Art I don't have any qualifications. At school I had an interest in it however I didn't feel that I was any good and lacked confidence. My grandfather was an artist and creativity runs in my family. When I was younger my grandfather and I would spend endless hours painting, he would suggest things for me to try out. I would often say to him 'I can't do that' his response would always be 'There's no such thing as I can't'. Learning nail art requires willingness and persistence. So if at anytime I feel like giving up, I remind myself of what my grandfather said.

The beauty of nail art is that there is no right or wrong way of doing it. I feel that nail art is an expression of who you are. It does not need to be perfect, it needs to be you. Nail art is a learning process, each day I am still learning. Since I began creating nail art I have been lucky enough to have been featured in Nail Art magazines. I also won nail art competitions and had a lot of fun doing it! 

If you are considering trying out nail art my advice would be to GO FOR IT! Below I have listed my Top 10 Nail Art Tips that were featured in U Magazine. Hopefully they help!
  1. Practice makes perfect – practice is the key to nailing that design. Practice on nail art wheels or family & friends.
  2. Toolkit - nail art tools can be purchased in many shops on the high street or online. You can use items around the home as tools e.g. cocktail sticks & pencils make great dotting tools.
  3. Always allow the base colour to dry before adding nail art.
  4. Match your nails to your outfit as the perfect accessory; take inspiration from the fabric or print.
  5. Use a make-up sponge to create ombre nails. Always use a white base to make colours appear brighter.
  6. Make a statement with your manicure by adding nail art to an accent nail. Usually accent nails tend to be the ring finger.
  7. Embellish nails using rhinestones, gems or studs.
  8. Use a pair of tweezers for the easy application of nail embellishments.
  9. A clear top coat is essential to seal the nail art.
  10. Express yourself – do not hold back when it comes to nail art. There is no right or wrong way of doing it. Anything is possible.   
If you have any questions or you would like to get in touch you can do by sending an email to devinenails30@gmail.com or you can find us on Facebook Twitter or Instagram

Laura xx

1 comment:

  1. Great tips!!! I've been painting my nails since I was 12 but I'm still a newbie in nail art. I keep trying and I have fun... this is important!
    Thank you so much!
    Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete